Book Thoughts - The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

1/23/2019

The Hazel Wood
Plot:
Seventeen-year-old Alice and her mother have spent most of Alice's life on the road, always a step ahead of the strange bad luck biting at their heels.

But when Alice's grandmother, the reclusive author of a book of pitch-dark fairy tales, dies alone on her estate - the Hazel Wood - Alice learns how bad her luck can really get.

Her mother is stolen, by a figure who claims to come from the cruel supernatural world from her grandmother's stories.

Alice's only lead is the message her mother left behind: STAY AWAY FROM THE HAZEL WOOD.

To retrieve her mother, Alice must venture first to the Hazel Wood, then into the world where her grandmother's tales began . . .

Thoughts:
People were selling this too much. I get that it's one of a kind but the thing about unique books with a first of its kind plots is whether they live up to the premise they talk about. Sadly, I think that it felt short here.

There are good parts, of course. The introduction to the stories and the characters were splendid and it left me feeling wistful. It's a tragedy, and when you think it gets to a happier note, we are succumbed again to this bleakness.

For a story revovling around Fairy Tales, it's not that I'm disappointed that there wasn't a shred of innocence shown that would be easily associated to fairy tales, it's that it was too focused on the horrors of it. Does this show balance? I don't know. It felt a little hopeless and heavy.

A great world-building? I still can't tell. Unforgettable characters, yes. It's the plot lines I'm trying to make amends to. I still think it's a good read. It would be great for specific readers, I think.

Quotes:
"My love he wooed me. My love he slew me. My love he buried my bones. His love he married. His love I buried. My love now wanders alone."

Rating:
3.5 stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community