Artemis Fowl: The last Guardian by Eoin Colfer

10/01/2014

 
Synopsis:
Opal Koboi, power-crazed pixie, is plotting to exterminate mankind and become fairy queen.

If she succeeds, the spirits of long-dead fairy warriors will rise from the earth, inhabit the nearest available bodies and wreak mass destruction. But what happens if those nearest bodies include crows, or deer, or badgers - or two curious little boys by the names of Myles and Beckett Fowl?

Yes, it's true. Criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl's four-year-old brothers could be involved in destroying the human race. Can Artemis and Captain Holly Short of the Lower Elements Police stop Opal and prevent the end of the world?

Rating: 3

My thoughts:
The story  opens with Arty's session with a psychiatrist. Not any typical psychiatrist, it's one of the People that has knowledge of the Atlantis complex, which Arty experienced in the last book which I so loath. The instant Artemis showed he was back to normal - meaning he was belittling the poor guy with his super intelligence - to prove that he was cured, was the moment I loved his character again.

So this just hit me. Maybe part of the reason I detest that wretched book so much was because Artemis was not himself? I don't really know. I forgot what my thoughts were at that time, but I remember feeling ver frustrated with the book. I had to force myself to finish it, which I painstakingly did after a few weeks.

I noticed that this was a bit shorter compared to the other Artemis Fowl books, or am I just imagining it? I surprisingly read through it like nothing. I love the pacing of the story. The thrill never really stopped. It just went back and forth from Haven to Fowl Manor, back again to Haven.

Opal Koboi is such a joke. I mean really, I don't regard her as a very optimal contender against the Artemis, Butler, Holly, not especially to Foaly! I didn't see Opal's comeback, to be honest. Once I found out that she was the nemesis in this story, it didn't thrill/excite me. I just knew right away Artemis would defeat her by outsmarting her.

I love the concept of the Berserkers! I wish we could get to know more about them and their war. That could be another book for Eoin Colfer!

Everyone of the characters got a little bit emotional here. Even Mulch became a softy! Can we talk about one of his many talents- Troll-riding?! That was very kick-ass! And Foaly, in the name of love, had some actions of his own... sort of. Opal not forgetting her arch enemy, sent a package to Foaly's house anonymously. Coming from Opal, it's definitely nothing good. When the package was opened because of DNA detection or something like that, it gave out some sort of signal that makes the trolls go crazy and head-on to where that something is, where Caballine is. Foaly realizing Caballine is endager, bolt towards home. Miraculously his is the only car that's running in all of Haven. The funniest thing was when Caballine prayed Foaly would not show up in the house because she knows she's not gonna be able to rescue him too! This was an LOL-moment for me. Foaly's been my favorite character ever since, but I think I've got a new one.

Holly was the same ever reliable captain we knew from previous books. I love her the way she is, but a new look into her personality would have been better though. Butler's grief for his charge, Artemis, in his scarificial death was just so sad. The feels... He was like Arty's father, he was a bestfriend.

Even in the brink of his death, Artemis had conjured up a plan for him to come back. That's Artemis for you. Assertive as f*ck. The ending was predictable. We all knew he will be back. We have that much confidence in Artemis' out of this world intelligence.

This book was my saving grace.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community