Every Day by David Levithan

12/19/2014

Suni








Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.


There’s something very somber the way David Levithan wrote Every Day. From the moment I started reading this book, I just knew this was gonna be a lot of feels. Every line was just so beautifully written that it reminded me again why I loved reading stories. Every word’s meaning just holds so much more than what it intends that you get completely lost in it.

The concept for the story is very unique, there’s just no expecting how the story will unfold. Every day, ever since he could remember, A wakes up in a different body. A accepts that this is how he is and this is how he lives his life. One morning, waking up as Justin, A meets Rhiannon. Starting that day his life had changed. That afternoon they shared together in the ocean, somehow it also felt as if it were my own memory. It’s not so much as the memory, but I think it’s more of the feeling I felt in this scene that somehow reminds me of some distant memory I’ve forgotten, but no the emotions that lingered.

As they go about their “relationship,” I can’t help but be worried for them that what they had was going nowhere. Of course they realize this, and as much as a fangirl wanting to ship them so hard, I share the same feeling but in the recesses of my heart I knew that they would have to part ways. So even on those happy times they were sharing in the ocean, forest, mountain, cabin or tree house, I couldn’t stop feeling sad for them.

As I was reading, I was also conditioning my heart and mind that this story will not have a happy ending so don’t count on it. I personally don’t know how it feels to be a zombie, but in a way it felt like being one while reading Every Day. I had no emotion whatsoever but melancholy.
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community