A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

6/02/2015

Suni



When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin-one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin-and his world-forever.




Thoughts
I love this book, hands down! This is one of those books that make you feel a lot of things. SO MUCH FEELS – exactly! After reading it, I felt that terrible feeling of loss, like I don't know what to do with myself, how am I able to live through life after reading such a beautiful mess of a story?! It pains me that I have to endure many more months before the next book!

I love the world shown in the story. I've been so out of touch with fairy tales for a time and I forgot what it feels like to go in a fantasy, and that was what this book gave me. Relieving childhood fantasies of fairies, nature, beauty and the creeps that come parallel with the enchantment.

Feyre is 19 but she can kick your ass, and will probably skin you too! Living in poverty, she is forced to hunt everyday so her sisters and father don't get hungry. As I read about her hunt in the first chapters, I am definitely reminded of Katniss, bow and all. But she lives in a different world, and the comparison stops there. What I like about Feyre is that she's tough and wild but is willing to do everything for her family. She might have incessantly talked about the promise she made to her mother to take care of them, but deep down you know her love runs deeper.

For killing a fairie, she is whisked away by a creature to live in his manor. I admire her stubbornness and coldness towards the people she deemed her enemies, she stood her ground with dignity. Well of course we expect a budding friendship with Tamlin and Lucien, and more. Thank heavens there were no cheesy messy love triangles! I dreaded it as I read on. However, I was disappointed that Feyre was becoming soft while staying in the Spring Court. She's a huntress for crying out loud! She did had some action with the suriel and the naga, but it felt like a jog. The first part of the story was understandably uneventful, but to establish the love story of Tamlin and Feyre. The second part on the other hand, was spot on what I was expecting of this book! Action, torture, gore, tricks, games, heck! even the romance part was far greater here!

Between Lucien and Tamlin, I'd go for Lucien. I like his character more, what can I say? He's as honest a character as any. I like that there's still a mystery to him, like does he still think about the one he loved that was killed after all those years? Is that why there's a certain rashness about him? Tamlin's a bit predictable… and boring! I only like him when he's beast mode is on hahaha!

But let's talk about my favorite character, Rhysand! Browsing through tumblr, I didn't get what was all the fuss about him. By this time, I was yet half-way to the book. He was portrayed as vile and evil. So discovering how he made himself swoon worthy was such a joy to read! Ovaries exploding, and all that jazz! What was his motives? In the end, in knowing the motives I could hear my heart and probably every female reader's heart sigh. Why do I always fall for the bad guys? Like, seriously! This must be a condition of some sort?!

Gripping excitement. If I had been reading the book and not an ebook, the book would have been in a sorry state from all the gripping on it too tightly from so much excitement from Feyre's tasks. The second task was the best part, I had to stop reading for a minute to catch my breath!

So here we are, after dying for like a second, Feyre becomes a high fae, and I don't know how to feel about that. I want her to be human still, because she was a badass human. Even though she was mortal she was greater than any fairie with existential powers! Why couldn't Tamlin be the one to turn human?! Hahahaha…

Can't wait…!

Rating
5 stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community