Legend by Marie Lu

7/07/2015

Suni





The flooded coast of former Los Angeles. Two warring nations of North America–the Republic and the Colonies.Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen–year–old June is a prodigy. Obedient, passionate, and committed to her country, she is being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles.Born into the slums of the Republic’s Lake Sector, fifteen–year–old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.From different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother is murdered. And Day becomes the prime suspect. Now, caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival while June tries desperately to avenge her brother’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together and the sinister lengths their country will go to in order to keep its secrets.

Thoughts

Dang. I can’t help but feel like The Republic is my own country. I understand the struggle as a citizen of a poor country. A tyrant might not be running our country, but I don’t know what’s worse compared to corrupt politicians.

June Iparis. Awesome, check. Kick ass, check. Moving character, check. Fearless, check. Silly girl falling hard for the most wanted criminal, double-check! I respect the fact that from the moment she unknowingly met Day, it was already established she will have feelings for her, and also they got the kissing part out of the way early.

I very much admire that although there’s an epic love story waiting to happen, it did not get in the way of the story at hand – the Republic and its people, the plagues, and their dysfunctional system and what to do about it.

The moment June discovered Metias’s hidden messages, my heart went out to her. The feeling of being lied to about the things you thought you knew all along. She’s a very intellectual person and to blindly follow and accept what the Republic has fed her, only to discover at the end that they are the enemy – of course she’d feel a personal responsibility in doing something right. Well I think she is the only one capable of that. And yes, Day!

Day! What can I say? What a guy, right? All for his family. Well, what family? The Republic killed them all, and the sole survivor taken to their labs. Such cruelty. Such a thing to endure for a fifteen-year old boy. I guess when you think about the way their country is, kids seem to grow up fast.
What I still don’t understand is that why wasn’t he recruited after his trials? He got a perfect score after all. Was it because he was from the poor sectors? That’s still not clear to me.

I feel so into this series because it’s something that hits home for me. I ache every time I read about the people from the poor sectors. Day makes me cry sometimes because he’s fighting so hard not just for his family but also for the people. Really what can he do with such powers like the Republic?

Rating

4 stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community