Book Review - Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

11/15/2017



Plot:

When Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home, long drives to explore the island, and quality time with the man she might one day marry. What she doesn't know is that Nick's family home happens to look like a palace, that she'll ride in more private planes than cars, and that with one of Asia's most eligible bachelors on her arm, Rachel might as well have a target on her back.

Initiated into a world of dynastic splendor beyond imagination, Rachel meets Astrid, the It Girl of Singapore society; Eddie, whose family practically lives in the pages of the Hong Kong socialite magazines; and Eleanor, Nick's formidable mother, a woman who has very strong feelings about who her son should--and should not--marry. Uproarious, addictive, and filled with jaw-dropping opulence, Crazy Rich Asians is an insider's look at the Asian JetSet; a perfect depiction of the clash between old money and new money; between Overseas Chinese and Mainland Chinese; and a fabulous novel about what it means to be young, in love, and gloriously, crazily rich.

Thoughts:

What got me in to reading this book was when news came up that Kris Aquino would be a part of the film adaptation.

I've seen the book before around the internet but have no clue what it's about. I just downloaded the ebook without really knowing anything else and read it. And you know what? BEST. DECISION. EVER.

I couldn't put it down. It was so addictive. One of my best reads! I wish I read it on a physical book. This one really makes you laugh out loud. I seriously think this book's a genius!

I'm not Chinese or have Chinese blood in me, but I totally get all the jokes and everything about the book. Which makes me wonder if non-Asians understood some of the stuff in the book? Like the traditions or how we are as a family, mannerisms... Hmmm? I think they do if best-selling book is any indication.

Filipinos have been mentioned here a few times, and the sad reality is they are more commonly attached as being domestic helpers in other Asian countries and also the Middle East. I'm really itching to know what character Kris Aquino will be playing. She's definitely a fit as a 'crazy rich Asian.'

Image result for crazy rich asian gif

Kevin Kwan created unforgettable and relatable characters. I think I'm a little bit of a Rachel, because God knows I can never be an Astrid or those other girls in the book try as I might. Yup, Nick's every nice guy that always fails to tell the most important things, brushing it off as nothing. Men! Astrid, wake up, girl! Leave that sorry ass of a husband already! Charlie, hang in there, man, I'm rooting for you!

Image result for crazy rich asian gif

The number one thing that really fascinates me with this book is the unimaginable wealth these characters have, though fictional, I think there are real people who may be like the Leongs, the Youngs, etc. I can't keep up with the brand names or most of the things they're talking about when they're talking about material things. Mainly because I'm poor LOL!

Image result for crazy rich asian gif

This book gives you a weird fascination, but in a good way. It opens up something that makes you so self-aware. Mostly, it made me realize, that in the truest sense, no matter how much you love your family they're still the ones that fvck you up, and that's not okay but you have to accept them, unfortunately, because you can never really change them if they've been like that for so long, that you just need a time out.

Image result for crazy rich asian gif

So please, please read Crazy Rich Asians and the sequels! They are funny and awesome and outrageous and oh so many things!

About the upcoming movie.

Rating:
5 stars

Quotes:
I don't have a favorite quote because I love every sentence on this book! Hahaha!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community