Review: The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan

4/27/2019

The Bonesetter's Daughter

Plot:
Ruth Young and her widowed mother, LuLing, have always had a tumultuous relationship. Now, before she succumbs to forgetfulness, LuLing gives Ruth some of her writings, which reveal a side of LuLing that Ruth has never known. . . .
In a remote mountain village where ghosts and tradition rule, LuLing grows up in the care of her mute Precious Auntie as the family endures a curse laid upon a relative known as the bonesetter. When headstrong LuLing rejects the marriage proposal of the coffinmaker, a shocking series of events are set in motion–all of which lead back to Ruth and LuLing in modern San Francisco. The truth that Ruth learns from her mother’s past will forever change her perception of family, love, and forgiveness. 

Thoughts

This was not my first attempt in reading an Amy Tan book. The first time was when I was in college, I saw The Joy Luck Club in our library. I was not able to finish it. I feel that I was not mature enough to have related or understood the story at that time. I would have wanted The Joy Luck Club to be the first book to read from the author but alas The Bonesetter's Daughter was the one on sale.

This took me a while to finish as the story only started to take off midway for me, but once it got my attention I was there with LuLing and Ruthie all the way. It's special since it revolves around the story of mother and daughter, as well as family-centered - as is expected  from books that is Asian-themed.

It was so gratifying that in the end, all Ruth's questions about her mother were answered, most of it. Millions of people around the world go through life without really knowing who their parents were. I would love to know more about the history of my own family. It would be so dramatic to have a family secret, but even if we had, no one in my family would have cared. It feels like I have never belonged to a family that has a solid root. We are drifting, I don't know where. I have my own family now though, I'll make sure we get some roots.

The background story felt like it stretched a life-time but it was definitely necessary and not overly done. The portrayal of their family was on point. I could relate to some extent, especially on the heart breaking parts. Family is family. We don't get to choose them, but we will never want to be a part of any other family than our own, am I right?

Rating

3.5 stars


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community