Review - Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan

12/09/2017

 

 

Plot:

When Nicholas Young hears that his grandmother, Su Yi, is on her deathbed, he rushes to be by her side—but he's not alone. The entire Shang-Young clan has convened from all corners of the globe to stake claim to their matriarch's massive fortune. With each family member vying to inherit Tyersall Park—a trophy estate on sixty-four prime acres in the heart of Singapore—Nicholas's childhood home turns into a hotbed of backbiting and intrigue. As her relatives fight over heirlooms, Astrid Leong is at the center of her own storm, desperately in love with her old sweetheart Charlie Wu but tormented by her ex-husband—a man hell-bent on destroying Astrid's reputation and relationship. Meanwhile, Kitty Pong, married to China's second richest man, billionaire Jack Bing, still feels second best next to her new stepdaughter, famous fashionista Colette Bing.

 

In this sweeping tale that takes us from the elegantly appointed mansions of Manila to the secluded private islands in the Sulu Sea, from a kidnapping at Hong Kong's most elite private school to a surprise marriage proposal at an Indian palace that is caught on camera by the telephoto lenses of paparazzi, Kevin Kwan hilariously reveals the long-buried secrets of Asia's most privileged families and their rich people problems.

 

Thoughts:

 

I really tried resisting reading the final book till I finish two other books, Riven and Ship of the Dead, but to no avail haha! I can't say I tried hard though.

 

Again and again, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of saying this, I can't put it down! I can't stop reading it! I wish all the books were an easy read as this so I can breeze through them and get to another book, but sadly they're not.

 

When characters die, I always feel sad about it. But not this time with Ah Ma. She's such a character! She's actually #LifeGoals. I can't understand why no one took after her. Maybe the great grand kids? Hmmm probably one of Eddie Cheng's kids. LOL!

 

Related image


Rachel took a backseat here. I guess her story went full circle in China Rich Girlfriend, after almost dying there, she deserves the break. But it's worthy to note that her most intense moment was one with much bad assery! It was when she clapped back against Eleanor, falling under false pretense that she was joining a 'bible study' but turned out to be a DIY OB sesh. You got to give props to Eleanor's creativity though. She's one character that always surprises me. Just when you thought she could do no worse, then BAM! she tops the previous act.

 

Related image

Harry Shum will be playing Charlie Wu, a love interest for Astrid Leong, played by Gemma Chan


I want to know how exactly Astrid and Charlie got back together. Oh that is not a request. I demand a back story!  A novellete! Though Michael's one of my least favorite character I also wanted a POV of his thoughts. Obviously he's jealous as hell, woudn't you think an account of his thoughts and feelings would be a colorful one? The terrible exes teaming up to tear down the star crossed lovers that is Astrid and Charlie? Come on, who wants to read the evil scheming part?! ME!

 

What the hell! Why didn't Carlton get revenge or atleast a show of rising against Collete?! Oh oh oh my ghad I just realized it's because Collete burned herself. This book is evil. The hated characters' misfortunes make you happy, and I can't even help it! Just goes to show that karma really is a btch.

 

Who else got annoyed with the Young sisters? They are real reflections of hypocrite-personified. I know people like them and they annoy me to no end. I had fun reading about them stressing out because their inheritance was not enough. Unconsciously though I was feeling bad for the people that were getting inheritance less than 5 million... and then I realized that first of all, their money isn't even real and second, I was worrying about people that needn't be worried about because they have many times more than most people. I got so used to most of the characters here as bazillionaires that I pity the just millionaires. But it's okay I'm back to reality now. *sob

 

Wasn't Colin depressed? You're telling me they lost their baby and he stayed cool and collected? Hmmm 'kay. I don't buy it. Another shocker was Peik Lin and Alistair! Yes, I so approve of this pairing! Spin-off please!!!

 

Related image


Oh yeah! Philippines got featured! Karen Davila? Great. So now I have guesses which character Kris Aquino might play. I wish there was more about the Philippines, but Palawan was a great choice to represent our country. I absolutely love the fact that Astrid settled in Palawan. Who would've guessed right? Astrid, an island girl? I accept this plot twist.

 

I love the ending, I love everything, I love Kevin Kwan. Thank you so much for writing this book, I can read it over and over again and won't ever get tired of it. Yes please, read it! Highly recommended!

 

Rating:

5 stars

 

Quotes:

 

"Forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves"

 

"To me, it's our wealth that puts us in the fortunate position of being able to do an enormous amount of good in the world, not hide from the world!"

 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community