Review - A Messy, Beautiful Life by Sara Jade Alan

9/04/2018





Synopsis:
Life is funny sometimes.

And not always the ha, ha kind. Like that one time where a hot guy tried to kiss me and I fell. Down. Hard. And then found out I had cancer.

I'm trying to be strong for my friends and my mom.

And I'm trying so hard to be "just friends" with that hot guy, even though he seems to want so much more. But I won't do that to him. He's been through this before with his family, and I'm not going to let him watch me die.

So, I tell myself: Smile Ellie. Be funny Ellie. Don't cry Ellie, because once I start, I might not stop.

Thoughts:

I've never read a book that centered on Improv. Learned new things and enjoyed reading their skits. I myself am a big fan of stand-up, if improv can be categorized under it. Sorry, I have little knowledge about it. I only know one improv group in our country. I hope improv gets popular in my country. People should have a good time not just in comedy bars but also in something as entertaining as improv.

Right from the beginning Ellie and Jason hit it off. You instantly know they're it. Of course you anticipate what could their obstacle be. Turns out it's not someone but something. The C word. Uh-oh. This made me step back a little. I was not expecting it and I am shocked. So I braced myself for a roller coaster of emotion... but it didn't come. The story didn't had much impact on me. Ellie's character was lacking something. She was a little uninspired for me. I wasn't feeling her, if you know what I mean. Sorry to compare her to Hazel of TFIOS, but remember how Hazel destroyed us in that book? There was potential in Ellie's character but it's like it didn't take off. It could be because of hoe the story was told or the tone of it.

Plus points: diverse characters.

Rating:
★★☆☆☆

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community