The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

2/26/2014




http://www.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/large/2/9780062104892.jpg
This year best friends Sophie and Agatha will discover what it is to be a student at the fabled School for Good and Evil, where ordinary boys and girls are trained to be fairy-tale heroes and villains. With her pink dresses, glass slippers, and devotion to good deeds, Sophie knows she'll earn top marks at the School for Good and graduate a storybook princess. Meanwhile, Agatha, with her shape-less black frocks, wicked pet cat, and dislike of nearly everyone, seems a natural fit for the School for Evil.

But when the two girls are swept into the Endless Woods, they find their fortunes reversed—Sophie's dumped in the School for Evil to take Uglification, Death Curses, and Henchmen Training, while Agatha finds herself in the School for Good, among handsome princes and fair maidens in Princess Etiquette and Animal Communication. But what if the mistake is actually the first clue to discovering who Sophie and Agatha really are . . . ?

The School for Good and Evil is an epic journey into a dazzling new world, where the only way out of a fairy tale . . . is to live through one.

From the very first page you already know you're in for a great adventure! And it did not fail any of my expectations at all. It's like the behind the scenes of a fairy tale story.

I really don't agree with the segregation between the Good and Evil. Thinking about it now, in Harry Potter, sure they were also sorted into different houses, but I guess what made it different and unnerving is because the students are being distinguished based on being good and bad. I know I am not making a whole lot of sense right now. Hahaha! But anyhoo, atleast there was one joint class and it was always the fun part.

About our two leading characters, Agatha and Sophie. The moment Sophie was introduced in the story, I instantly didn't trust her. This is me being biased because I identify more with Aggie. Haha! Sophie's pretty and very girly-girl and has vast knowledge about creating her own beauty products and loves dressing up and be all princessy, whileas Aggie the introvert is the exact opposite. She has a black cat to keep her company, an amateur witch of a mother and the best part of all is they live in the cemetery!

I like that the author mentioned about kids being snatched at midnight first before explaining why, keeps you intrigued so you keep on reading.

The village of Gavaldon is all tensed up and abbuzzed because the day has come when the School Master will be kidnapping two kids from their village to bring to the School for Good and Evil, and be part of the fairy tale. Paranoia at its finest- the parents cut their kids beautiful locks and bathe them in mud believing that this will scratch off their kids from the School Master's list of kids to kidnap. And here we have Sophie, the only person in the whole village whose excited of the thought of being taken away because of her delusion of living a fairy tale life and finding her prince and live happily ever after. The villagers also strongly believe she'll definitely be taken because of her good looks and "good traits." As for their candidate that'll make it in Evil was Aggie. She and her mom are like the resident creeps of their place. Aggie is more reluctant in the idea of being schooled as a villain, but her mom is practically in stitches over it (the other excited person for the School Master's coming)!  She simply wants to stay where she is, just happy and content.

Sophie impressed me because of her wanting to reach her dreams no matter the cost, even if I did call her delusional. Haha. Introvert me relates to Aggie, the prospect of something new is scary. Really, you can already tell that Aggie is the good and Sophie is the evil one. Sophie was only being nice to Aggie because she saw her a "good deed," and that's more likely using someone than helping them. Not cool, Sophie. Aggie knows this for a fact but still befriends Sophie genuinely. Going as far as trying to rescue her from the school master.

So there they were at school, Aggie in the school of good and Sophie in the school of bad like I predicted. Sophie is b*tching around believing that she was thrown in the wrong school, and dear Aggie just wants to go home. I admire how Aggie is all focused and level headed trying to figure out how to get home, while Sophie keeps being so dang embarrassing! Haha. Yes, she's a character in a book and I am embarrassed of her actions! Hahaha! Then boys come in the view and it all goes crazy from there. Aggie just keeps me sane in this book, but Sophie drives me crazy. She redeems herself in my eyes when she was willing to get home with Aggie, saying they were all in it together blah blah... and I started liking her then. But then she drops Aggie in mid air like a hot potato. She made me almost throw my tablet!

Tedros is awful, why the Evers (goods) liked him escapes my comprehension. Oh yeah, because like Sophie, they are all delusional (really, I'm a Never). Hahaha! The love triangle was fun though. Tedros always choosing Aggie instead of Sophie, but my fondness of him ends there. He always ends up judging the girls he loved from the surface, which for me is a poor character for a person. (Soman so good in his character development, I'm so affected! Hahaha!) Now Hort had potential, I liked him the moment he first annoyed Sophie in the moat. I wish he had more exposure in the story. I think he and Sophie would've hit it off nicely. Beatrix is a necessary b*tch in the story and I think Hester is awesome.

The greatest plot twist, the school master as Sophie's creepy lover. Ew! I think it was great but I hate that there was little struggle in defeating him. Sophie's sacrifice made me teary-eyed (but still don't like her that much) because what better way to show your deep friendship but by sacrificing your own life, and then kiss them in the lips as thank you (I got my ship!). Ofcourse Sophie lived, because whether I like it or not, she is a hero of the story and so she has to live for the book 2 and 3. Hehehe.

Do I think it's sad that Aggie and Tedros did not have a chance to say their goodbyes? No! Aggie, baby, you're better off without him. Haha. But I know we'll still be seeing him in he next book. and I hope I can like him then.

This books gets 4 out of 5!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community