Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

4/24/2014


ShadowKiss Novel.jpgBloodPromise Novel.jpgSpiritBound Novel.jpgLastSacrifice Novel.jpg

I kept nagging myself that I should finish Last Sacrifice within the Holy Week, and last night around midnight, I finally did. It was exhilarating!



In the six books, it didn't feel like I was reading a vampire novel, not at all. I am reminded of it when feeders are mentioned. Even with strigois, I forget that they ARE vampires!


I totally love the fact that the center of the series is not about Dimitri and Rose's love life! For me this was a very impotant factor that kept me glued to it. Not so much drama but the right touches that evokes the emotions are right there. There are still a lot feels. Well most of my feels are towards Adrian ivashkov. Hehe. I love him. I don't know, I just do. Don't make me explain. It'll just make me tear up.


Action. Reading this series always keep me on my toes! After Rose or Dimitri finish with a fight I also feel exhausted and I have to wait for my heart rate to abate before reading on.



In Shadow Kiss, Dimitri turned strigoi, which was for me the most impossible thing in the world! I did truly believe that he was a god the same way as Rose does! Rose going after Dimitri in hopes of killing him, was for me the most stupid thing ever that Rose thought of in all the six books! That was by far on the top of the list! If Dimitri was a god when he was a dhampir, then what could he possess as strigoi?! scary.


Blood Promise, I can't say my most favorite, but this was the book that really affected me. Every time Rose would hunt for strigoi and fight the monster, I always dreaded about it. I was genuinely scared reading about strigois. I also like that there were lots of new things, like characters and the settings. In this book I started to really love Rose's characters. In the previous books she was admirable, yeah, and funny, but I still thought she was so immature and not what would likely be called a heroine. She really grew up overnight in this book and it always felt like reading a different character and not Rose. But before that I didn't like that he was playing with Adrian's emotions just to get his support on the trip! I was this close to judging her as "user friendly," but I didn't because I liked the idea of her being with Adrian. I love them together, they complement each other.



Then she finally finds Dimitri and becomes his "hostage." The stark comparison of Dimitri as a dhampir and strigoi are apparent, from his fierceness and violence, but I could not discredit the fact he still had feelings for Rose even as a strigoi. It was kinda sexy! Hahaha! If she ever did agree to be turned then they definitely would have been the power couple of the strigoi community.



It was heart breaking 'cause just when I gained a greater respect for Rose, she then turned "blood whore" for strigoi Dimitri. It wasn't what she was supposed to do! She wasn't supposed to be that weak! But in the end she did what she had to do. The bridge scene was epic. It teared me up.



In Spirit Bound, it's quite mellow compared to the previous where the story was very gripping and kept you moving. I like the "road trip" and yay for more Eddie! Also the spirit power is showcased here like never before. Robert Doru is an interesting character and really I was kinda hoping for him to be like a mentor for Lisa, unfortunately impossible because of his loyalties to Viktor Dashkov. Oh and about Viktor! We see another side of him, one that's tender and a "softie." In the first book he never really showed that much affection to his daughter, Natalie, but he was somewhat caring towards Lisa but then we discover that he's some creep waiting for a perfect moment to make Lisa fall prey to him. I thought that Viktor was there in the book for his redemption. Fooled again. I love his witty and snarky exchanges with Rose. There were times when I did felt sorry for him, at that point I was wishing he'd be allies again with Rose and Lisa. But such is not possible for a man like Viktor.



Abe's role in the book is fun. I absolutely love the part in Rose's final exams where Adrian was seated beside Abe and Abe was doing his daddy role of "if you hurt my daughter" but more gory and extreme, as I understand. Oh yeah Abe's the man, only he can make Janine Hathaway, legendary guardian, giggle like a school girl! I wished they both hook up again!!!



Adrain was the most shocking of all. I got to know him better. Of course I knew this all along, that beneath the sarcasms, rich kid snob, is a faithful, gentle heart. and it only beats for Rose. Lucky b*tch. I love that they're so couply here! Kisses and hugs everywhere! Some of my favorite lines of him are:



"I know. You did what you did out of love. I can't be mad at you over that. It was stupid, but that's how love is."



"No. I just know that as long as he's still alive--or, well, kind of alive--then you're in danger. And I can't stand that. I can't stand knowing that your life is in the balance. And it is, Rose. You'll never be safe until he's gone. I want you safe. I need you to be safe. I can't . . . I can't have anything happen to you."



I just love a sensitive soul! Ako nalang sana! Chos! Okay, okay, okay... I admit, I'M INLOVE WITH ADRIAN IVASHKOV, dammit!



Another favorite line is: "That was the best not-sex ever."



I hate that I read an excerpt of the first book from Bloodline series! It was on the last part of Shadow Kiss, I think? There should have been a spoiler alert! I learned that Lisa is gonna be the queen and Jill Mastrano is her half-sister. I also learnt about Sydney Sage there first and, it got me really curious so I googled Sydney and then I found out she's gonna be Adrian's girl in the end. So I was shocked that she was there in Blood Promise, and I shoved that knowledge aside because it was still Adrian-Rose for me, I was still anticipating the progress of their relationship.



Anyways, the final story was bad ass because of breaking Rose out from her prison, which included blowing half the court and an this elaborate plan! I love that Adrian was also part of the escape and that kiss he and Rose shared before leaving, that showed Dimitri.



Finding out that she was going to escape with Dimitri... uhm. I didn't quite like the twist. I was betting for drama to ensue. Gladly no such thing happened. I forget Rose is not one for drama, attention-seeking that she is. Obviously it was a sign that on this escape they were gonna hook up again eventually. That led me to the question, what's gonna happen to Adrian? I still like those sweet moments they shared in their dreams. I just know this will crush him. But I didn't expect anger though. I was expecting him to drown himself in booze and choke in smoke, but after all that has happened and a seemingly "happy ending" for Rose, Adrian confronts Rose and I hate what went down there. This line from Adrian just tore my heart to pieces:



ʺI loved you!ʺ he yelled. He jumped up out of his chair so quickly I never saw it coming. ʺI loved you, and you destroyed me. You took my heart and ripped it up. You might as well have staked me!ʺ The change in his features also caught me by surprise. His voice filled the room. So much grief, so much anger. So unlike the usual Adrian. He strode toward me, hand clasped over his chest. ʺI. Loved. You. And you used me the whole time.ʺ



I was just sobbing, feeling so bad for Adrian. I don't think Rose did truly love Adrian. I guess she just loved his company and that Adrian made him feel loved and important, because what girl doesn't want that? Adrian practically praised her like a goddess! I wanted it to be them so badly.... I hate Rose for this, but I know that she would be the only one for him. That could make him right.



I will eventually read the Bloodlines series just so I can make sure that Adrian will be fine. Until then, I will keep an open mind about Adrian-Sydney thing, because at the end of the day, I want nothing more than for Adrian to be happy and feel loved the way he deserves to be loved.



(*I know I sound silly talking like this but forgive me if I'm just too caught up with fictional characters and the feels I get from them!)



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community