The Mortal instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

4/21/2014

http://blackplume.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/city_of_bones_book_cover.jpg

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to Pandemonium, a club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder – much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of Nephilim warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons.  This is her first encounter with Jace Wayland, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears, Clary is attacked and almost killed by a demon, and is soon pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance.

But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? Secrets will be told.

My rating: 5 stars

My reason in reading the series is because of its movie adaptation which premiered just recently, which got me very curious because of its large follwing and fanbase. However, the ulitmate reason is Jamie Campbell Bower who plays Jace Wayland, one of the main characters. I think he's very charming and sexy in his own way. I've noticed him ever since in Sweeney Todd, and also he appeared in two movies of the Harry Potter franchises and to my chagrin, he also had a part in Twilight series.

So anyway, about the book. I had no expectation at all, because I tried as much not to google about it. Firstly, I was surpised that it's actually funny. Especially Simon. Through half of the first book, I knew Simon Lewis was my guy! He's like the comic relief, and those type of characters are what I'm totally in to. I didn't really realized it at first, but his character, which I'm very glad, is very vital to the story. He gets dragged into this world within our world or the world of the mundane, which is awesome becuase he's just a "mundane" without this great skill and power but at the most crucial part, he was able to contribute something- he saved some snobbish Shadowhunter asses, I hate that it wasn't what happened in the movie! Instead of Simon, Jace "saved" them when Madame Dorothea was possesed and attacked them. It was suppose to e badass because Simon killed it with his arrow shooting skills!

It's funny 'cause at first I was so ready to fall inlove with Jace... but it's better to be inlove with Simon! Much much much better! Sometimes I loathe Jace when he belittles SImon.

I like that Clary is not this smart, level headed girl, and that she wasn't that much beautified. She is what she is and very likeable. But I kinda had a bad thought about her when she decided to have a relationship with Simon, upon discovering that Jace was his brother. Friend-zoned turned rebound. Simon deserves more! But there is no denying their chemistry. I like reading their conversations in the books and always makes me wish that I had that kind of bestfriend.

Where do I even begin with Jace? He is actually a typical badass, cool character, plus the sarcasm, oh he just makes all the readers fall inlove with him right away! But it was nice to see a different side of him in the light of discovering that Valentine was his dad. That shut his srcasm up. I think he might have thought it a bad joke that blew in his face, no?

I am so bad at recognizing when someone is gay. Alec seemed also badass to me, and I'm still not kinda used to reading something with the third sex. I'm not saying that it's bad, it's actually cool! I'm all for it.

In the book I envisioned Isabella as this awesome, hot, fierce warrior, something like Lara Croft. I got a bit disaapointed in the actor they chose. Frankly I don't see her sexy not in the way how Isabelle was portrayed and how I see her. I'm not saying the actress is not sexy, not at all! She just seems to me a no-nonsense kind of girl and it's kinda hard for me to picture her flirting... *shrugs

Magnus Bane was for me an old dude. I'm so glad he's not! He so fiiiiiiine! Period. And also Luke! Everyone in the movie all seem so young, as well as Valentine. I guess not really young, but hot! Hahaha.

With a whole new world that I'm getting to know, I'm loving everything about it. The glamour, the shadow world, Alicante, the institutes, the shadowhunters, downworlders, angels and demons, and this actually gave me an open mind reading about vampires! I didn't even think that was possible! But because of Simon, he made vampires sexy again!

(Note: This was first drafted on September last year and just finished it today. Months after I have read all the books of The Mortal Instruments series. I am currently waiting for the release of City of Heavenly Fire!)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community