Bet you cried when you saw the castle - A Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald review

11/20/2018

It started with me seeing the first photo of the casts of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald that I've shared last year, turned into an on-the-spot date with friends that were also tagged on that same post.

Image result for fantastic beasts the crimes of grindelwald cast photo

Of course what is a Harry Potter film franchise if it does not open with, the tune of our era, Hedwig's Theme? And just like that I am back home. If that did not so much as drove you to the edge of tears, you're lying to yourself.

How marvelously eerie did that first scene made you? Damn eerie it made me giddy as the familiarity sweeps in where only a David Yates vision can produce, the same semblance he has given us in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows - as if seven years had not pass.

Image result for fantastic beasts the crimes of grindelwald johnny depp

What makes this different from the first Fantastic Beasts is because - even though it is not our home, really - we are taken back to where it all began, in London, where the wizarding world, unlike what it was in the unfamiliar New York, is what we are accustomed to. Well, there were no Privet Drive nor Leaky Cauldron nor the Burrow nor Diagon Alley nor Hogsmeade... but there was our home, our Hogwarts. *shed tears and heart breaks. If I could, I would have taken the remote and hit pause and just bask in the beauty and glory that is Hogwarts Castle... as I blow my nose and dry my tears and get act together before I fall apart and the movie isn't even half way yet! There was never a good scene for Harry in the Ministry of Magic yet that place also tugged at my heart.

Related image

Story-wise, of course it was fantastic. Ah yes, the jaw dropping plot twist, that classic JK Rowling plot twist, we do expect nothing less right? The new beasts were breath-taking as it gave a nod of recognition our East culture. And the new characters? The controversial Nagini, who became friendly with Credence. Leta Lestrange and Newt's brother, Theseus. Honestly, girl, who were you saying 'I love you' to? Hmmm. Now there's an intrigue... And then there's Jude Law whom they call Albus Dumbledore... which I'll be honest at first I thought was a great idea but now that I am seeing him up on the big screen... bloody hell.

Image result for fantastic beasts the crimes of grindelwald albus dumbledore

Where do we even begin? That eyes is not piercingly blue enough. We could forgive Dan Radcliffe for not wearing that green contact lens. The height. Albus would be seen a mile away in a crowded Diagon Alley because he was towering. That pish posh outfit of his. A suit, seriously? And Albus always had that refined, knowledgeable air about him, which I'm sorry to say, Jude Law's portrayal lacks. I don't hate Jude Law, I actually love that guy! That's why I'm not shunning him because there will be three more movies to make up for it and change his game.

Image result for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald queenie

Love and loss. Queenie, why? It's terrible how everything spins out of control when people think that they are doing things for love. I mean... it was devastating. Leta sacrificing herself... but why do I get the feeling that it's not the last we're going to hear of her? Her story feels unfinished. Tina and Newt and the iguana. Hahahahahaha!



If you're to ask me my predictions for the coming film, I really don't have one. It's been days since I've seen it but I am still digesting it all. Look how long it took me to write this one!

Go see it please to experience the magic - if only for a few hours.

Lumos!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community