The Kane Chronicles - The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

5/05/2015

Suni

Since their mother's death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.
One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.
Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them—Set has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe — a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.


Thoughts
Since the bittersweet ending of The Heroes of Olympus, The Kane Chronicles had been placed in my TBR list. I didn't know what to expect from Egyptian mythology because honestly I didn't know a thing about it! I'm only familiar with Cleopatra, King Tut and Nefertiti, and they're not gods or goddesses.

In the beginning of the story, my curiosity was greatly piqued, because there was already a lot going on. Written as an audio transcription from the recording of Carter and Sadie, I was reminded of Where'd You Go, Bernadette, not really in the same manner but I love the creativity in relaying the stories to readers. I also love those side comments, mostly by Carter, because Sadie's really cheeky!

I love the series because I'm definitely learning a lot from it, about Egyptian mythology and a whole different kind of culture and magic. But towards the middle part, it felt like it took too long for it to end and I thought it was just going in circles and sometimes I'd forget the point why they where there. It didn't held my full attention, to say it shortly. I was actually considering on not continuing with The Throne of Fire after finishing this book... and totally changed my mind after reaching the last part. I had a teary moment with Sadie when she mournfully wailed to the sky what else she did not sacrifice? Hit me right in the feels.

The prospect of teaching other blood of the pharaoh kids and finding them is what got me excited over The Throne of Fire, because I love the idea of new characters and they'll be spending time in the mansion in Brooklyn, and that will definitely be loads of fun!

Well, those are just my expectations since I don't really know what happens in the next books even though it's been out for years!

Rating
3 stars


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community