Across the Universe by Beth Revis

11/09/2015

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgpN8hQbobmmNFByX4MHlHNKAE6JkkFnX6ubH_V9WgLn5NpkKYLmkrKTMux83laiSEO0pZz15KjnZGFmzRkaFr2JbCCXF58ctxRJDXzZKVLQmcmOYa7HY7CtrNvY2ZM9o-0sQY1dOrlkWkZ/s320/8235178.jpg

Amy is a cryogenically frozen passenger aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed. She expects to wake up on a new planet, 300 years in the future. But fifty years before Godspeed's scheduled landing, Amy's cryo chamber is unplugged, and she is nearly killed.
Now, Amy is caught inside an enclosed world where nothing makes sense. Godspeed's passengers have forfeited all control to Eldest, a tyrannical and frightening leader, and Elder, his rebellious and brilliant teenage heir.
Amy desperately wants to trust Elder. But should she? All she knows is that she must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets before whoever woke her tries to kill again.

THOUGHTS

This book has been in my virtual bookshelf for the longest time! Probably in 2013? Guess why this book caught my attention? U-huh. The title. Who wouldn’t pick up a book entitled to one of the most legendary songs by the greatest band in the universe! Got too excited with the epigraph, only to be let down by the fact that it has nothing to do with The Beatles at all!

First off I had no idea that it’s a sci-fi mystery. I don’t read too much sci-fi and I honestly didn’t know what to expect out of it. The story started out slowly, but I like the introduction of the world in Godspeed and the revelations as the story progressed. I don’t really know how sci-fi stories work, and I might just be stereotyping them, this book was an easy read, to what I initially thought about sci-fi books as too technical and full of jargons.

I thought Elder was stupid and Amy was a rebel. They couldn’t made me more wrong in the end. Elder became an honest leader, but whether this honesty of his will help him in running the ship, we’ll have to see. Does it make me a terrible human being that I sort of agree with the Eldest’s method of putting phydus in the water to have control over the people? It’s cold and cruel, and I know that the Eldest did not like what he was doing and was only thinking of everyone’s welfare. Did that really make him a tyrant?

Amy showed that she was so much more than just this angsty kid, she was fighting to protect her parents and she very well stood her ground. Her character was greatly developed.

From the beginning, Elder’s attraction to Amy is already apparent. Just from his sick puppy acts, I could tell that he was willing to do anything for Amy, even if it means going against Eldest, which he did by the way. I don’t think Elder would have rebelled against Eldest if he hadn’t known Amy. She was the one to point out to him that the actions of the people on the Feeder level was abnormal, and the people on the hospital taking inhibitors were actually the normal ones.

The story has great plot twists, but I’m more unsettled with the fact that it was predictable even on the early chapters. There are some surprises, but still…

It’s a great book but I don’t think I’ll be going back to Godspeed anytime soon.

RATING
3 stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Asian Book Blogger

Asian Book Bloggers Directory (shutupshealea.com)

the printed word

Read the Printed Word!

book blogger directory

Parajunkee Design

blogs ng pinoy

BLOGS NG PINOY

book blogger list

book blogging community

Book Blogging Community